To prepare your body for more vigorous activity a warmup is necessary. Performance improves with a proper warm up. I find as I get older a more thorough warm up is needed.
So what is a good warm up?
- Start with a simple activity like walking, jogging, rowing, cycling to get the blood flowing.
- Work on taking the joint through a full range of motion. This is not the time to improve your range of motion.
- Perform exercises which engage the muscles that are to be used for the activity.
- Start slowly and then increase your speed.
- Add resistance if you are planning to use weights. Start performing the movements at a lighter weight and then increase it to workout weight.
Here is an example of preparing the body for a kettlebell workout.